Armagh Gaol was originally built around 1780 and it remained unchanged for many years while a turbulent history unfolded outside its doors. Through much of the 1800s, prison inspectors repeatedly found the gaol to be lacking space and adequate amenities for the prison population. From 1920 onwards, Armagh was primarily a women’s prison. During the conflict, it housed a growing number of female internees and political prisoners, and a small number of male internees and remand prisoners. It closed in 1986.